The Tom Paris Dorm, a Tom Paris-centric fanfiction archive is being imported to the Archive of Our Own (AO3). In this post:
- A bit of background explanation
- What this means for creators who have work on The Tom Paris Dorm
- And what to do if you still have questions
The Tom Paris Dorm is an archive for fanfiction about the character Tom Paris, from Star Trek: Voyager. The TPD was created at the end of 1999 under the name of "The Wonderful World of Thomas Eugene Paris". Since then it has continued to grow steadily, and holds over 1300 works. The archivist, banshee, has now decided to close the archive and import its works to the AO3. Open Doors will be working with banshee to import The Tom Paris Dorm into a separate, searchable collection on the Archive of Our Own. Eventually the links going to the old archive site will re-direct to the new collection on AO3 so the works can continue to be found with their old URLs. We will begin importing works from The Tom Paris Dorm to the AO3 after December.What does this mean for creators who have work(s) on The Tom Paris Dorm?
We will send an import notification to the email address we have for each creator. We'll do our best to check for an existing copy of any works before importing. If we find a copy already on the AO3, we will invite it to the collection instead of importing it. All works archived on behalf of a creator will include their name in the byline or the summary of the work. All imported works will be set to be viewable only by logged-in AO3 users. Once you claim your works, you can make them publicly-viewable if you choose. After 30 days, all unclaimed imported works will be made visible to all visitors. We will then permanently close down the site. Please contact Open Doors with your The Tom Paris Dorm, pseud(s) and email address(es), if:
- You'd like us to import your works, but you need the notification sent to a different email address than you used on the original archive
- You already have an AO3 account and have imported your works already yourself.
- You’d like to import your works yourself (including if you don’t have an AO3 account yet).
- You would NOT like your works moved to the AO3.
- You are happy for us to preserve your works on the AO3, but would like us to remove your name.
- You have any other questions we can help you with.
Please include the name of the archive in the subject heading of your email. If you no longer have access to the email account associated with your The Tom Paris Dorm account, please contact Open Doors and we'll help you out. (If you've posted the works elsewhere, or have an easy way to verify that they're yours, that's great; if not, we will work with The Tom Paris Dorm mod to confirm your claims.) Please see the Open Doors Website for instructions onIf you still have questions...
If you have further questions, visit the Open Doors FAQ, contact the Open Doors committee. We'd also love it if fans could help us preserve the story of The Tom Paris Dorm, on Fanlore. If you're new to wiki editing, no worries! Check out the new visitor portal, or ask the Fanlore Gardeners for tips. We're excited to be able to help preserve The Tom Paris Dorm! - The Open Doors team and banshee